Monday, July 14, 2014

It's still Monday. With all the cloud I thought we could use some color.


The flower, I always seem to paint the same flower. Not sure why but it works. I have painted and printed the same flower over and over. For the past twenty years. But it never comes out the same, sometimes similar, but never the same.

For the most part I am self taught. I did go to a small college for a few years. No one really taught me how to paint the way I do. Though technically it may be considered a mono type print, for me I like to think of it as painting with paint. I find I enjoy it a lot.

There is just something about paint on the glass, the canvas, on the floor, in your hair, and all over your clothes. As you may have guessed I make a huge mess when I paint. Most of my mono print paintings are 16 x 20 or smaller do to time constraints on paint drying and the amount of paint needed.

I mostly use acrylics.  I would like to try oils some day but the cost would be astronomical and the clean up. But maybe one day I will get the chance to try. So here are a few of that famous flower.

This is a few sets of the flower drying. Painted just around Christmas.
It takes a few days to a week to dry most the time.





Here is a one with one of the frames I made the other day. The frames are not fancy. They're made out of cheap damaged pine I got in the clearance bin at the hardware store.  I took the wood home, cut it up with a table saw, cut it again on the miter saw, then pinned and glued the pieces together.  To paint them, I used a paint and acrylic wash, wiped it off before it dried, and sealed the frames with polyurethane and a brush; not the most optimal way to do it but I don't have the room to spray.  I have the equipment, but not the space!  These were, instead, painted by hand, outside, on a beautiful sunny day!




The frames turned out alright for a first try; not great but not too bad either.  I would have preferred to have sprayed them, but need more space.

So that's the flower I so often paint, print or whatever you wish to call it, I just call it Art.


Now for a very unique piece that hangs over my fire place:

This piece consists of three sets of nine prints for a total of twenty seven pieces of art mounted to diamond plate aluminum.  Its approximately three foot by four foot. 
There are actually three different paintings, each consisting of nine parts, and all three of them were used to make this piece.  If you were to take it apart, and had the patience to work out the "jigsaw", you could put them back together again to make up the three originals.

This is the kind of work I do.  I hope you find it as interesting to look at as I find it interesting and fun to produce. 



                                                                                             Mo











No comments:

Post a Comment