Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sometimes You Need A Straight Edge

Tired of trying to hold the ruler, while you're cutting and doing your best not to let the blade slip?  Well I had this issue. And finding something suitable to cut on was also an issue. I had made a table to cut on but was destroying my blades and slipping was always possible. So I ordered an adapt-a-rule 40 inch; it got lost in the mail. When I went to reorder I found an adapt-a-rail 60 inch and as they were about the same price within a dollar or two, I got the 60 inch adapt-a-rail.

When it came in, I looked around for some scrap wood. Then started to build a cutting board for my new straight edge. I didn't want to spend any more money, so I used what I could find. It may not be very pretty but it seems to work rather well.







I started by cutting a groove in half inch plywood on both sides of my straight edge, so that the blade wouldn't cut into the wood with the straight cutter.











Then I cut a few boards out of some wood from an old bed headboard to align the straight edge.







Next I fastened the board to the plywood,







making sure to keep the straight edge square.




I checked and double checked the squareness the best I could.









After double checking I had a small issue with one side...






...so I realigned the side that was not square; it wasn't pretty but it works.






I made sure to line my grooves up with the edge of my adapt-a-rail,







checking to make sure everything is aligned and working well.





             
                Finally ready for testing :-)






Well it worked very well after I turned the blade  in the cutter over so that the blade was down :-p


I have a small mat cutter, I think its about 32 inch and works very well for cutting mats for framing. I doesn't work well for sizing the mat. I didn't have the money for a professional mat cutter that would allow me to cut my mat to size and make mats, cut foam board, glass, cardboard, paper and anything else I would have used a razor knife for.


In the end it will cut a 90 degree cut 50 3/4 inches. I didn't test a 45 degree cut but it will
be somewhat shorter, around 6 inches shorter than the 90 degree cut.  I wish it was a little wider but don't have the room to store anything much bigger at the moment and I didn't want to spend any more money.

It will work for now, and was nearly exactly what I been looking for. I can always take the adapt-a-rule out of the base I made for cuts up to 60 inch.  I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did.

Like me on Facebook

Or Message me on Facebook

Comments Always Welcome

                                                                                 Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment